Calling all Bingo Fans, Online or Bingo Hall regulars. Here are some facts about your favourite and the lovable social game you like playing that you may not know about. Bingo has always been a popular pastime or hobby in the UK, enjoyed up and down the country for years, decades even. Then came the marvels of modern technology, which made playing bingo online easier, where it exploded and became very popular due to its accessibility.
- There are more than three million bingo players in the UK
- 70% of Bingo players are female
- 95% of players have won a Bingo game at least once
- Bingo was played by the Romans and was originally recorded as a children's game under the name of Lotto in 1778.
- Bingo was popular in the early 1900s but was properly established by American toy salesman Edwin S. Lowe in 1929.
- Commercial bingo first burst onto the UK scene in the 1960s.
- The National Bingo Game is the second-largest computer-controlled game in the UK.
- Around 500 clubs link together to play the National Game every day, except Christmas Day.
- There are 688 licensed bingo clubs in the UK.
- Eight per cent of the population play bingo - 10% of all women and 5% of all men.
- There are approximately 20,000 people employed in the bingo industry.
- The UK's biggest bingo win was £950,000 on Sunday 22 December 2002.
- Total prize money won since the National Bingo Game started in 1986 presently stands at £725,179,338.
- Celebrities love bingo! Denise Van Outen is a big bingo fan, as are Catherine Zeta-Jones and Robbie Williams and Paris Hilton
- 30% of Bingo players are under the age of 35.